Looking to create a chart comparing the timeframes of different items

Hi,

I have a group of items with different effective dates for different periods of time. I am looking to create a chart comparing these items and their timeframes. I’m having trouble getting the dates to appear correctly. Perhaps, I am not formatting the columns properly?

Does anyone have an example of a chart that might compare timeframes using month, day and year data for the dates?

This is my sample chart: everviz

I can’t get the full date to appear - such as: 6/1/2024.

Thank you for any help anyone has to offer! Would be happy to see any Everviz examples of charts comparing things over annual timeframes. Apologies I am pretty new to this. And I didn’t see anything like this in the Everviz sample charts.

Thanks,
Laurie

Hi Laurie

Are you looking for something similar to this? Annual weather averages in Canada - Column chart - everviz
?

Cheers,
Havard

1 Like

Hi Havard,

This example does look very similar. Great - thank you so much! I will try to use this one.
Thank you!
Laurie

Hi Havard,

Thank you for this example. Looking closer at it, I think the challenge with using this chart (Annual weather averages in Canada - Column chart - everviz) - is that the “Categories” are the months of the year. I need to create a chart where the “Categories” are a list of rules and proposals and the date field would show the different implementation and finalization dates.

Thank you though! Appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Laurie

Havard,

Thank you again the example chart link. I am trying to rebuild the chart found on Tab 10 “Implementation” of this excel file: https://www.sifma.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/SEC-Tracker-Comparison-of-Chairs-Rule-Proposals-and-Finalizations-SIFMA-Updated-6.4.24.xlsx

Thank you for any advice or recommendations you might have!

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the additional information. While we don’t support this feature out of the box, I’ve created a proof of concept that might meet your needs.

The tricky part is setting the dates in milliseconds, as this is what our underlying rendering platform uses. This means you would need to convert dates in your Excel file to milliseconds before uploading to everviz.

See the screenshot below.

Here’s a link to the PoC chart: https://app.everviz.com/create?uuid=6dpjwsskv

Additionally, I’ve added some custom code to ensure the tooltip is human-readable.

I know this is a bit complex. In the future, we plan to include Gantt functionality from Highcharts, which may simplify the process.

Cheers,
Havard

Hi Havard,

Thanks very much for this. Do you have a preferred way to convert the dates to milliseconds? Is that something you did in Excel? I’m taking a look.

Thank you!
Laurie

Hi Havard,

Thank you again. I found a way online to convert the date to milliseconds. And I am re-using your Proof of Concept chart.

As I customize this, I want the Data (the Date) in Column B to display as a green color and I want the Data (different Date) in Column C to display in a different color.

So, the Green = Finalized rules date and the Blue = Compliance Date.

I am not sure this is possible. I might just make 2 different charts for the different dates.

This is how it looks now: everviz

Do you have any other recommendations to handle? Or should I just break into two charts?
thanks,
Laurie

Awesome Laurie. Great work

You can use this technique to color the points: Color individual data points - everviz Knowledge Base

You can also accomplish this using Custom Code, as described here: Advanced tips - everviz Knowledge Base

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Havard

1 Like

Great, thank you so much!

I’m noticing some of the data isn’t getting displayed.

Some of the “Name of Rules” text in Column A is getting cut-off. Is there a way I can allow users to see all of the text?

And, also some data is missing. For example, in the Data, Column A - Row 13: “Regulation NMS: Minimum Pricing Increments, Access Fees, and Transparency of Better Priced Orders” is not displaying at all in the chart.

Chart: https://app.everviz.com/share/9CdbqI77w

How can I fix this?
thanks,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Regarding the text cut-off, our rendering engine, Highcharts, tries to balance showing enough text without compromising the visual and ensure responsiveness. This is why it cuts off the text and shows an ellipsis (…). If you hover over the label, the full text will appear. Some items have quite a lot of text; could you shorten them?

As for displaying the lines, this is also related to responsiveness. There are many rows, so I recommend increasing the chart height to show more rows. You can adjust this under Appearance Styles > Chart Height, setting it to, for example, 1000.

It appears the share link doesn’t account for the height setting, so please test the chart on your CMS to ensure it looks correct or see it in fullscreen view using the embed link: everviz

Hope this clarifies

Cheers,
Havard

Thanks so much, Havard. We’ve worked our way through the chart and have just one question remaining. We would like to label different rows of data with different colors. We see the option to create new data series for columns, and assign unique columns to them. But we do not see the option to differentiate data series within the same columns. Is that possible?

Here’s the chart thus far: sec-proposed-and-finaliz

Hi Kate

Did you try the tip above to color the rows?

Cheers,
Havard