Highlight specific countries on a bubble map

Hello,

I’m trying to change the colour of some countries in a bubble map. I have added a quote in column C on specific countries so I would like to highlight those countries so people can rollover and read the quote. Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks

Teresa

2 Likes

Thanks for posting @TeresaArevalo, do you reckon you can share the chart in question here? From discussion over email. We incovered that the quote was multiline, formatted as a list:

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
• Sed euismod semper ante, a consectetur nibh.
• Phasellus vel mauris ut risus suscipit ullamcorper.

This caused the quote to be read as three data row values for the map (noted as bug in our internal systems now)

We can resolve this by writing out the tooltip text using HTML to break into new lines:

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
• Sed euismod semper ante, a consectetur nibh.
• Phasellus vel mauris ut risus suscipit ullamcorper.

Here, the </br> is code for “break line”.

But there might be more ways to emphasize the fact that only a single country of an entire world map has extra text. I would suggest annotations, but that’s not currently enabled for maps. Any takers?

Yes of course. Is this one:

The map caption area - the text field under the map itself - is a good place to add extra info, instructions for interpreting the map etc.

1 Like

I think in our current situation I’m answering the question but you are giving an overall better suggestion. It’s a good point!

Thank you for all your help.

Ideally the countries will be highlighted as I don’t think these are the typical country everyone knows where they are geographically. We are talking about Angola, Hungary, Moldova, Albania… so people will have to either check where the countries are in order to read the quotes or try to find the bubble that has the quotes which means the information is not easily accessible so it will be missed. I’ll check with the team what they would like to proceed.

Again thanks for your time and help. I appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like